Thursday, June 13, 2013

2013 Fall Preview - CBS: The Millers

Why wait for the TV Guide?  Let's start reviewing new TV shows now!  Also, if you are here because you heard my guest round on the Podquiz Podcast 430, good on you!

Here are the Millers.  Go to this link, watch the trailer and come back:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-millers/
I am a fan of Margo Martindale ever since I saw "Justified", for which she won an Emmy.  I know she can act.

I am a fan of Beau Bridges.  I have long enjoyed his work, too.

If you saw this trailer, you might be convinced that neither of them knew how to act, just mug.  Will Arnett has gone from "Running Wilde" which was mercifully canceled, "Up All Night" which was a good show for the first season and well, "too many cooks" may best describe what happened there.  I don't see a bright future for this show.

I am not horribly prudish, but this managed to go for the gross-out gag one time too many.  The "you caught me in self-pleasure" was not a bad idea, but it went way over the edge.  We needn't return to the days of not being able to say a woman about to have a baby was pr**n*nt, but the ability to say this much should not end up with the writers making sure that they squeeze all of this in at the expense of plot, character or humor.  Free(r) speech is not cheap.

Pet Peeve: Yet another show with a person who has a job in the media.  There have been a LOT of shows that have people involved in broadcasting, writing, etc.
It makes one feel that these are the only jobs to have or, worse yet, we have a generation of writers who don't know that there is a wealth of people in this country who do NOT work in this work.

Greg Garcia is listed at the Executive Producer.  "Raising Hope" and "My Name is Earl" were no less bawdy, but both were decidedly funnier.

Cliches: Flatulence jokes (three in one trailer!), the explicit parents, the THIS-will-win-the-audience-over dance scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment